Friday, August 3, 2007

Red Lentil Curry

This recipe is sort of a mix of 3 different red lentil curry recipes I found...

Reviews: Paul and our friend Nick gave it a thumbs up.  I loved the fact that it was non-dairy and tasty too.  Since it's pretty cheap and easy, I think it will stay in our recipe book.

2 T. oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. grated ginger root (or 1 t. powdered)
1 1/2 c. red lentils, cleaned and rinsed
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
3 c. chicken broth
1 can coconut milk
2 t. curry powder
1 t. turmeric
salt to taste
hot cooked rice
cilantro, for garnish (It was fine without, though it would have been nice)

Start rice cooking. Heat oil in skillet, add onion and garlic.  Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add ginger.  Cook until onion is soft, then add broth, lentils, garbanzo beans, coconut milk, curry powder, and turmeric.  Cook until lentils are soft, 20-30 minutes.  Taste for salt, add more if necessary.  Serve over hot cooked rice.  Could also make into soup by adding more liquid and either eliminating rice or adding a little with the lentils.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Ooh, this looks uber yummy! I overheard a neighbor the other day saying that you can keep ginger in the freezer forever and that it's then that much easier to grate. So now I have a reason to buy ginger and add it to my freezer! :) I will contribute something soon!

Unknown said...

This is great! Plus I love the suggestion from Emily to freeze the ginger, because I rarely use the whole root before I have to throw it out!

I just have one question for Stephanie: do you have to use "red" lentils? We only have green. In fact, we have so many, I am dying to have a reason to use them!

Stephanie and Paul said...

Emily:
Yes, I keep my ginger in the freezer too. Just peel the section that you want to grate, grate it, and pop it back in the freezer.

Serena:
I won't say it has to be red but brown/green lentils would definitely ruin this somewhat delicate curry. Maybe yellow would be ok. Whole foods carries red lentils for pretty cheap.

Stephanie and Paul said...

I'll post my favorite brown lentil recipe here soon...