Saturday, September 1, 2007

Orange Carrot Cookies

I love sneaking veggies into Luke's food.  These taste like regular sugar cookies if you don't frost them; with the frosting they are extra yummy and citrus-y.  The credit for the recipe goes to Britney Swensen. I had them at her house and now crave them regularly. Also they have no dairy :) so I can eat all I want.  Just in case you are a freezer fanatic like me, I thought I'd mention that I made the whole recipe but baked just one pan of these and froze the rest (including leftover frosting) to use another day.  Worked perfectly.

3/4 c shortening (it has no trans fats now)
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
1 c cooked, mashed carrots
1/2 t vanilla
2 c flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt

Frosting: 
1/4 c butter
2 c powdered sugar
3 T orange juice
1 T orange zest
(Beat all together until light and fluffy.)

Cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat until light and fluffy.  Add carrots and vanilla. Sift dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Mix well.  Drop by rounded tablespoon onto cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12-15 mins. Frost when cooled (or when still a little warm if you like the gooey glaze look). 


2 comments:

Erika Sullivan said...

I really want to try this recipe, but I don't have orange or orange zest. Do you think lemon would work instead?

Erika Sullivan said...

Nevermind, I just waited until I had the orange, and they are sooo good! Thanks Brittney and Stephanie!